Here is the 'last week of class' update from Academic Affairs:
- I meet with the University Committee.
- From 8:00 a.m. - noon we have a strategic planning retreat and in the afternoon Mark Mone and I will have a meeting with the College of Nursing cabinet on Academic and Strategic Planning.
- I'm attending the APBC meeting in the morning, and the Faculty Senate meeting in the afternoon (the last of the academic year).
- Faye Sigman "Woman of Valor" lecture by pioneering theatre scholar, Jill Dolan, who will explore the characteristics that make a Jewish theatre artist remarkable in contemporary America. Her lecture, "What Makes a Jewish Theatre Artist? Gesture, Voice, and Ethics in American Performance" will be held in the Golda Meir 4th Floor Library Conference Center at 7:30 p.m. More information is at http://cdn.e2ma.net/userdata/1357854/assets/docs/r_r_8-12_opt.web.pdf.
- I will be participating in a UW System provosts' videoconference. Agenda items include a budget update (including the 'cash balances'); and a discussion on the following: Accountability report, tuition/pricing policy and Associate degree report.
- At noon I have a meeting with the department chairs of Natural Sciences to discuss the academic and strategic planning.
- In the afternoon I will be part of a group from UWM meeting with leaders of Aurora Health Care to discuss mutual collaboration.
- I will be attending the SAC Excellence Awards (see below).
Social Science Analytics using SAS®
The Provost's Office and the Center for Applied Behavioral Health Research (CABHR) in the Helen Bader School of Social Welfare (HBSSW) are co-hosting the first "Social Science Analytics using SAS®" event on August 29-30, 2013. The program features presentations on Big Data in Social Science, Data Mining using SAS Enterprise Miner, and UWM's new Graduate Certificate in Applied Data Analysis using SAS®. Additionally, hands-on workshops and presentations on Data Visualization using SAS/GRAPH and ODS, Mixed Models, Data Simulation with SAS, Introduction to SAS/IML, and Statistical Analysis using JMP will be offered to students, academic staff and faculty from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Marquette University, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Milwaukee School of Engineering. Attendance is free! More information coming soon.
Survey on Video Services
Colleagues, we know how important academic and marketing video services are to campus. Please take 5 minutes to complete this short survey, https://milwaukee.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9M6BovckAuZ4DTT, which will help guide decisions about future video needs and investments. The division of University Relations and Communications is conducting a comprehensive assessment of video needs. The review team includes faculty and staff from across campus. Survey results will be part of the data that informs a final report this summer. Thank you for your input.
SAC Excellence Awards
Please join the Student Accessibility Center as we honor the 2013 winners of the SAC Excellence Awards on Friday, May 10, 2013, Union 345, at 1:00 p.m.
We celebrate and honor faculty and staff who have demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to students with unique needs.
Kudos to the 2013 equal access winners:
- From the Graduate School: Congratulations to the recipients of the following UWM research awards.
Graduate School/UWM Foundation Research Awards: Luca Ferrero, Philosophy; Benjamin Johnson, History; and Krista Lisdahl, Psychology.
UWM Research Foundation Senior Faculty Awards: Fred Helmstetter, Psychology; James Peoples, Economics; and Robin Pickering-Iazzi, Italian.
Research in the Humanities Award: Tanya Tiffany, Art History; and Barrett Kalter, English.
Research Growth Initiative: See the 32 proposals chosen for funding for 2013-2014:
-The UWM Libraries have won a PR Xchange Best of Show award from the Library Leadership Administration and Management Association, American Library Association, for their undergraduate-aimed advocacy video "Value of the UWM Libraries: My Library," directed by Ryan Allsop (UWM Film ‘12). http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VZYQ3TF2Vkc.
- UWM Libraries staff member Beth Kucera won “Best Content” for her poster session on enhancing a graphic novel collection and graduate student intern Emma Molls won “Best Student Poster” on Twitter outreach, at the recent Wisconsin Association of Academic Libraries annual conference.
- Cheng Thao, PhD in Engineering (2012), has accepted a position as Assistant Professor of Computer Science at UW-Whitewater.
- The UWM Design & Visual Communications Senior Capstone Showcase was held last weekend, and congratulations to these talented graduates! A special congratulations to Marquayla Ellison, one of our student workers in the Provost's Office! See their work at http://uwmdvc.com/resolution2013/.
- Please join me in thanking Tien-Chien Jen for his years of outstanding service to UWM. T.C. has accepted a position as Dean of the College of Engineering at the University of Alaska-Anchorage.
Community leader Anthony Mensah, who taught courses in Africology on the culture of Africans and African-Americans. His obituary is at
Take care and have a good week,
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee