Good Morning, Colleagues:
Here is this week’s Monday update:
First, I would like to congratulate Mark Mone on behalf of our campus community with his appointment as Interim Chancellor, and I am looking forward to working with you Mark!
Please see my announcements last week regarding the searches for the Director of the Honors College, the Director for the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, and the Ombuds person.
- I’m in California and return tonight.
- There is a faculty meeting at the Zilber School of Public Health that I will attend.
- The University Committee meets, and I will attend part of the meeting. In the morning I have my bi- weekly meeting with Mark Schwartz.
- In the afternoon I have my weekly meeting with the Chancellor.
- I will be a panelist for South African Freedom Day at the Zelazo Center from 5-7 p.m. (see announcements); all are invited to attend.
- The strategic planning synthesizing and writing team meets in the morning.
- I have a meeting on the coordination of data-driven initiatives on campus.
- The Honors College Advisory Committee meets with me in the afternoon.
- I’m joining a group of UWM Brazilian students in a visit to Johnson Controls.
- The School of Education has an all school meeting that I will attend.
- I have a one-on-one meeting on strategic planning with School of Information Studies interim Dean Wooseob Jeong.
- The Phi Beta Kappa induction ceremony and reception takes place in the afternoon - I will be there.
- I end the day with coffee with new Brazilian students.
- I meet with the Electa Quinney Endowment Committee.
- Join the Schools of Freshwater Sciences and Public Health for a summer-inspired First Friday fete from 4-6 p.m. at the Zilber School of Public Health.
South African Freedom Day
- Join South African Consul General Vuyiswa Tulelo, Alderman Joe Davis, and me for South African Freedom Day on April 29 from 5-7 p.m. in Zelazo 250. The Freedom Day program is at: http://www4.uwm.edu/acad_aff/newsevents/2014-freedom-day.pdf, and you can sign up to attend (so we know how many to expect) at http://mydevelopment.uwm.edu/detail/index.cfm?eventid=50898.
From Peck School of the Arts
- The Peck School of the Arts presents, "Urinetown," on the Mainstage from April 30-May 4. See http://psoacal.uwm.edu/?tribe_events=urinetown-the-musical.
From the Stahl Center for Jewish Studies
- This coming Friday at 2 p.m. in the Golda Meir Library (E281) there is an Artist’s talk: Helene Fischman, "Art from the Ashes: Finding Light in the Shadow of the Shoah."
Good Food Revolution 5K Run/Walk
- Join Farmer/CEO Will Allen and the entire Growing Power gang for a 5K run/walk on Saturday May 10. Contact Bonnie Halvorsen (email@example.com). Registration and warm up will take place at Growing Power, 5500 W. Silver Spring Drive, Milwaukee, WI.
Urban Initiatives Conference
- The Center for Urban Initiatives and Research will hold its 16th Annual Urban Initiatives Conference, "Nonprofits and Technology: From Strategy to Implementation," on May 28 at the Italian Community Center. For more information: http://www4.uwm.edu/cuir/resources/conference.cfm.
- Three important messages from UITS, regarding post-heartbleed (have you changed your password?), Learning TECHniques Office 365 workshops (preparing your inbox for migration from pantherLINK), and Tech Timeout for End-of-Spring Semester 2014 (begins at 12:01 a.m. May 9, 2014 and ends at 11:59 p.m. May 21, 2014). For details, see: http://www5.uwm.edu/news/category/announcements/uits/.
- The strategic planning process is picking up speed. I highly encourage you to preview and comment on the latest UWM Strategic Plan documents at uwm.edu/strategicplan.
Submit a BP2W Quick Win
- We encourage UWM faculty, staff, and student employees to suggest possible quick wins as they relate to UWM as a Best Place to Work (BP2W). There are many BP2W initiatives underway, but there might be additional ideas that can be implemented easily and quickly that can enhance UWM’s employment environment. Submit your ideas at www.bp2w.uwm.edu.
- Check out, "Living Without Borders: Brazilian Students’ Experience at UWM," at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WencgECt0Vg&app=desktop (15 minutes).
Take care and enjoy the week....we are in May!
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee