Good Morning, Colleagues:
I have a relatively short week on campus since I will be off to Colorado Tuesday evening and back on Friday. Here is a brief update:
- I am pleased to announce the appointment of Diane Reddy, Psychology, as the Director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL). For those of you who were not aware, CETL was formed following a task force recommendation to integrate the Center for Instructional and Professional Development and the Learning Technology Center into a single center. Thank you for your willingness, Diane, to take on this important role on campus and I am looking forward to working with you.
- In the Graduate School: Nominations and applications are invited for the Associate Dean of the Graduate School, who will work with the Senior Staff of the Graduate School to nurture, grow, and promote graduate education and graduate research and scholarship at UWM and to formulate and implement policy and processes that will advance the strategic plan of the Graduate School. The position is a 50% appointment that reports to the Dean of the Graduate School. For more information, see http://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/20061.
Other searches during the fall semester include:
- Dean of the School of Education
- Vice Provost for Research
- Associate Vice Provost for Research
- Monday morning I attend a planning meeting with Interim Chancellor Mark Mone regarding the Chancellor's Enrollment Management Action Team (CEMAT). CEMAT was established by the interim chancellor and is co-chaired by Michael Laliberte and me to oversee all key decisions regarding enrollment management.
- I have my weekly meeting with Vice Chancellor Robin Van Harpen.
- The Chancellor's Cabinet has its regular Monday meeting and I have a break away with my direct reports the rest of Monday - where we will focus our discussion on planning for the year, the quality of teaching and learning (as an outcome of the Strategic Plan), and the Strategic Plan (we meet at the Zilber School of Public Health).
- There is a space planning meeting and I also meet with the University Committee in the afternoon.
- I attended the UWM Women's Resource Center 20th anniversary celebration on July 31 and was one of over 200 guests! It was a lively event with vibrant displays reflecting the important work of the WRC and speakers such as the compelling Vice Chancellor Joan Prince. In "Honoring the Past," we recognized founding Director Cathy Seasholes for her 20 years of service and rejoiced her well-deserved retirement. In "Inspiring the Future," I am excited for the future of the WRC as Sue McCarthy, Interim Director, and Monique Liston, Interim Assistant Director, lead the WRC into perpetuity! I encourage you all to support and become a friend of the UWM Women's Resource Center.
- Academic Affairs is hosting several retreats and orientations as we gear up for the new academic year:
- Department Chair Retreat on Tuesday, August 19 from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the Library 4th Floor Conference Center (http://www4.uwm.edu/acad_aff/facstaffprog/2014deptchr-agenda.pdf)
- New Faculty Orientation on Tuesday, August 26 from 8 a.m. – noon in Lubar S250 (http://www4.uwm.edu/acad_aff/facstaffprog/2014nfo-agenda.pdf)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Orientation on August 18 and 19. For information and registration see: https://www4.uwm.edu/cipd/Orientations/gta_orient.cfm
I hope you have a great week . . . enjoy the summer and as always:
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee