Good Morning, Colleagues - welcome for those of you on a 9 month contract:
Here is this week's update:
Fall 2014 Enrollment now stands at 3,166 new freshman (up 1.4% compared to last year at this time), 20,873 total undergraduate (down 1% compared to last year at this time) and 4,100 total graduate (up 2.4% compared to last year at this time). Overall enrollment stands currently at 24,973, which is more or less the same as last year this time (down by 0.4%).
Again, using last year as a standard, we are approximately 90% through the enrollment process overall, 96% for new freshmen specifically.
Enrollment patterns and trends for new freshmen are contingent upon a number of factors, not the least of which is the orientation schedule. With that in mind, last year at this point orientation sessions were complete.
- I have a weekly meeting with Interim Chancellor Mark Mone as well as meetings with Vice Chancellors Robin Van Harpen and Michael Laliberte.
- The Chancellor's Cabinet has its regular Monday meeting and Mark Harris and I have a follow up meeting with Chase Erwin regarding TA issues.
- I have meetings on the Student Association's new Campus Rep program.
- Monday and Tuesday is Graduate Teaching Assistant Orientation. For information and registration see: https://www4.uwm.edu/cipd/Orientations/gta_orient.cfm.
- The Department Chair Retreat runs from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the Library 4th Floor Conference Center - I will attend part of the retreat and I know that the Interim Chancellor is also on the agenda - here is a link to the agenda: http://www4.uwm.edu/acad_aff/facstaffprog/2014deptchr-agenda.pdf.
- Following the retreat, the Chancellor's Enrollment Management Action Team (CEMAT) has its inaugural meeting.
- The second day of Graduate Teaching Assistant Orientation.
- A busy day, with meetings on the campus budget, fundraising, and with the deans of Education and Business.
- I am also attending a faculty retreat at the Zilber School of Public Health.
- I'm attending the Board of Regents meeting at UW-Oshkosh. Agenda items include the 2015-17 biennial budget and capital budget recommendations, progress on diversity, remedial/developmental education (Phyllis King and Kyle Swanson will be making a presentation on positive changes on our campus), the human resource system, and an update on the UW Flexible Option competency-based initiative.
- The Start-of-Semester memo to instructors is now available on the Academic Affairs website at:
One Stop Student Services Website Is Live
- The new One Stop Student Services website is available at www.uwm.edu/onestop and as a resource delivers information from the offices of the Registrar, Bursar, and Financial Aid for students' administrative business. I was told it is easy to use and contains valuable academic and support resources on campus, and includes such features as a department directory and campus calendar.
I hope you have a great week.
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee