Good Morning, Colleagues:
Here is this week's brief update:
- I am pleased to announce the appointment of Peter Sands, English, as Director of the Honors College. I am looking forward to working with Peter on advancing the goals of this outstanding unit. I also want to thank Chuck Schuster for the leadership that he has provided for such a long period of time as Director of the Honors College.
- I would also like to thank Laurie Peterson for her service to the Accessibility Resource Center. Barb Simon will serve as the interim director, pending a search for Laurie's successor.
- From the College of Letters and Science: Heidi Vrankin Matera will assume the role of Interim Director of ESL (English as a Second Language) effective August 18, 2014. Many thanks to Larry Kuiper as he takes a well-deserved sabbatical.
- Nominations and applications are invited for the Associate Vice Provost for Research, who will work with the senior staff of the Office of Research to facilitate and grow research and scholarship at UWM. The position is a 50% limited appointment that reports to the Vice Provost for Research. For more information, see: http://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/19723.
- I have my weekly meetings with Vice Chancellor Robin Van Harpen, the Chancellor's Cabinet, and my staff.
- In the afternoon I will attend a meeting with interim Chancellor Mark Mone and others to discuss plans for growing research and improving undergraduate education and training.
- There is also a conference call with System on remedial education - this is in preparation for our presentation at the August Board of Regents meeting on remedial math.
- In the morning, I have my weekly meeting with the interim Chancellor, followed by a bi-weekly meeting with UC Chair Mark Schwartz.
- In the afternoon there is a Facilities Management Evaluation.
- Throughout the day I will be meeting with deans (regular monthly meetings).
- I will attend the Honor's College Staff Retreat.
- We have the Leadership Academy for Deans and Associate Deans at the Experiential Learning Center in Kohler - this will conclude the Leadership Academy that ran over 7 sessions during the summer.
Space - a Reminder
- Campus Planning is completing a study of general assignment and use of classrooms - please share your thoughts, at the link below, so we can plan for future improvements.
Successful Office 365 launch and "Email Holiday"
- Bob Beck told me that the project team has already begun to focus on the next round of migrations, which will include another 90 days of historical pantherLINK email. Your "legacy" pantherLINK email and calendar content is available for viewing and forwarding, but nothing should be changed in, or deleted from, pantherLINK accounts. If you need help check the website: www.uwm.edu/o365.
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee